Wednesday, November 18, 2015

HW Mr. Padilla 11-18-15


Parents/guardians: Please assist your child with today's homework. Choose one reading option below and one task option. 

*Johnny swore under his breath, and I muttered, "What do they want? This is
our territory. .. Johnny shook his head. "I don't know. But I bet they're looking for us. We picked up their girls."...
"It's too late now," Johnny said. "Here they come." Five Socs were coming straight at us Johnny's hand went to his back pocket and I remembered his switchblade…Johnny was scared to death. I mean it. He was as white as a ghost and his eyes were wild looking, like the eyes of an animal in a trap. We backed against the fountain and the Socs surrounded us. … It was Randy and Bob and three other Socs, and they recognized us. …
"Hey, whatta ya know?" Bob said …,"here's the little greasers that picked up our girls. Hey, greasers."
"You're outa your territory," Johnny warned in a low voice. "You'd better watch
it"
… Bob was eyeing Johnny. .."You know what a greaser is?" Bob asked. "White trash with long hair." I felt the blood draining from my face. I've been cussed out and sworn at, but nothing ever hit me like that did. Johnnycake made a kind of gasp …
"You know what a Soc is?" I said, my voice shaking with rage. "White trash with
Mustangs and madras." And then, because I couldn't think of anything bad enough to call them, I spit at them. Bob shook his head, smiling slowly. "You could use a bath, greaser. And a good working over. And we've got all night to do it. Give the kid a bath, David."

**Johnny swore under his breath… "What do they want? This is our territory. .. Johnny shook his head. "I don't know. But I bet they're looking for us. We picked up their girls."...
"It's too late now," Johnny said. "Here they come." Five Socs were coming straight at us Johnny's hand went to his back pocket and I remembered his switchblade…Johnny was scared to death. … He was as white as a ghost and his eyes were wild looking, like the eyes of an animal in a trap. We backed against the fountain and the Socs surrounded us. … It was Randy and Bob and three other Socs… "Hey, whatta ya know?" Bob said …,"here's the little greasers that picked up our girls. Hey, greasers."
"You're outa your territory," Johnny warned in a low voice. "You'd better watch
it"
.."You know what a greaser is?" Bob asked. "White trash with long hair." I felt the blood draining from my face. ..
"You know what a Soc is?" I said, my voice shaking with rage. "White trash with
Mustangs and madras." And then, because I couldn't think of anything bad enough to call them, I spit at them. Bob shook his head, smiling slowly. "You could use a bath, greaser. … And we've got all night to do it. Give the kid a bath, David."

***Johnny swore under his breath… "What do they want? This is our territory. ..
"It's too late now," Johnny said. "Here they come." Five Socs were coming straight at us… Johnny's hand went to his back pocket and I remembered his switchblade…Johnny was scared . … He was as white as a ghost … We backed against the fountain and the Socs surrounded us. … It was Randy and Bob … "Hey, whatta ya know?" Bob said …,"here's the little greasers that picked up our girls ..”
"You're outa your territory," Johnny warned …"
"You know what a greaser is?" Bob asked. "White trash with long hair." …
"You know what a Soc is?" I said (Ponyboy), … shaking with rage. "White trash with
Mustangs..."



Today we learned a little about the history of gangs.  We talked about what the word gang means, why groups used to form gangs, and the dangers of being a gang member.

Option 1:  Base responses on what was discussed in class today:   
1.     How and why did gangs first form?
2.     What are some dangers of being in a gang?
3.     Give an example from The Outsiders to support your point.
4.     Based on what you know about the subject of gangs, have things changed much compared to now?

Option 2:  Write a paragraph in which you discuss the following questions:
A.    Why or how did gangs begin to form?
B.    What were gang conflicts like in the 1960’s?
C.     Describe the conflict between the Socs and greasers (use evidence from the book)
D.    Are gang conflicts today similar or different? Explain.

Option 3: Base your responses on the reading.
A.    Why do you think Ponyboy and Johnny are scared?
B.    How scared was Johnny? Explain.
C.     Why was Ponyboy shaking with rage?

No comments:

Post a Comment

HW Mr. Padilla 6.26.18

Dear parents/guardians, It was a pleasure working with your child this academic school year 2017-18.    For those of you not attending s...