Monday, July 24, 2017

HW Mr. Padilla 7.24.17

Option 3: Collections:  The Land of the Dead

He ceased, and I replied:  Unhappy spirit, I promise you the barrow and the burial.  So we conversed, and grimly, at a distance, with my long sword between, guarding the blood, while the faint image of the lad spoke on. Now came the soul of Anticlea, dead, my mother, daughter of Autolycus, dead now, though living still when I took ship for holy Troy. Seeing this ghost I grieved, but held her off, through pang on pang of tears, till I should know the presence of  Tiresias.
 Soon from the dark that prince of Thebes came forward bearing a golden staff; and he addressed me:  Son of Laertes and the gods of old, Odysseus, master of land ways and sea ways, why leave the blazing sun, O man of woe, to see the cold dead and the joyless region? Stand clear, put up your sword; let me but taste of blood, I shall speak true.  At this I stepped aside, and in the scabbard let my long sword ring home to the pommel silver,as he bent down  to the sombre blood.

1.      What is the mood of this passage?
2.      How does Odysseus react when he sees his mother?
3.      Why does Odysseus not want to speak with his mother?
4.      How does Tiresias address Odysseus?


Option 2: Collections: The Land of the Dead

He ceased, and I replied:  Unhappy spirit, I promise you the barrow and the burial.  So we conversed… at a distance, with my long sword between, guarding the blood, while the faint image of the lad (the boy) spoke on. Now came the soul of … my mother, daughter of Autolycus, dead now, though living still when I took ship for holy Troy. Seeing this ghost I grieved, but held her off, through pang on pang of tears, till I should know the presence of  Tiresias.

 Soon from the dark that prince of Thebes came forward bearing a golden staff; and he addressed me:  Son of Laertes and the gods of old, Odysseus, master of land ways and sea ways, why leave the blazing sun…, to see the cold dead and the joyless region? Stand clear, put up your sword; let me but taste of blood, I shall speak true.  At this I stepped aside, and … let my long sword ring home to the pommel silver, as he bent down  to the sombre blood.

1.        What was Odysseus doing when he talked to the boy?
2.        Who came to speak to him next?
3.        What did Odysseus do when he saw his mother?

4.        Who was Odysseus waiting for? What did the person he was waiting for bring?
5.        What are Odysseus’ nicknames?
6.        What id Odysseus asked?

Option 1. Collections: The Land of the Dead
So we conversed (talked)… at a distance, with my long sword between, guarding the blood, while the … image of the lad (the boy) spoke on.
1.     What was Odysseus doing when he talked to the boy?

 Now came the soul of … my mother… dead now, though living still when I took ship for holy Troy.
2.     Who came to speak to him next?
Seeing this (his mother’s) ghost I grieved (suffered), but held her off, through pang… of tears, till I should know…of  Tiresias.
3.     What did Odysseus do when he saw his mother?
 Soon from the dark that prince of Thebes (Tiresias) came forward bearing (bringing) a golden staff; and he addressed (talked to) me :
4.     Who was Odysseus waiting for? What did the person he was waiting for bring?
 Son of Laertes and the gods of old, Odysseus, master of land ways and sea ways, why leave the blazing sun…, to see the cold dead and the joyless region?
5.     What are Odysseus’ nicknames?
6.     What is Odysseus asked?
Option 1 A. Collections: The Land of the Dead
So we conversed (talked)… at a distance, with my long sword between, guarding the blood, while the … image of the lad (the boy) spoke on.
1.       What was Odysseus doing when he talked to the boy?

 Now came the soul of … my mother… dead now, though living still when I took ship for holy Troy.
2.       Who came to speak to him next?
Seeing this (his mother’s) ghost I grieved (suffered), but held her off, through pang… of tears, till I should know…of  Tiresias.
3.       What did Odysseus do when he saw his mother?


Parent signature________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

HW Mr. Padilla 6.26.18

Dear parents/guardians, It was a pleasure working with your child this academic school year 2017-18.    For those of you not attending s...