Wednesday, June 7, 2017

HW Mr. Padilla 6.7.17

Homework: Dear parents/ guardians, please assist your child with today’s homework.  
Option 3: Collections: HOW I SERVED MY APPRENTICESHIP 1900

Emigration to America
… Why did I become a business man? ….The eldest son of parents who were themselves poor, I had, fortunately, to begin to perform some useful work in the world while still very young in order to earn an honest livelihood, and was … shown even in early boyhood that my duty was to assist my parents and, like them, become, as soon as possible, a breadwinner in the family. What I could get to do, not what I desired, was the question. When I was born my father was a well-to-do master weaver in … Scotland. …This was before the days of steam-factories for the manufacture of linen.
As the factory system developed … my father was one of the sufferers by the change. The first serious lesson of my life came to me one day when he had taken in the last of his work to the merchant, and returned to our little home greatly distressed because there was no more work for him to do. I was then just about ten years of age, but the lesson burned into my heart, and I resolved then that the wolf of poverty should be driven from our door some day, if I could do it.
Task: Read the following statements, agree Yes or No, then explain why, and give evidence from the text.
1.      Statement: Anyone can accomplish what he/she resolves to do in life.
A.      Your reason for Yes or No:

B.      Evidence from the text:

2.      Statement: Children who work when they are very young have a better chance to be rich when they grow up.
A.         Your reason for Yes or No:

B.      Evidence from the text:

Option 2 :  Collections: HOW I SERVED MY APPRENTICESHIP 1900
Emigration to America
… Why did I become a business man? ….The eldest son of parents who were … poor, I had… to begin to perform some useful work in the world while still very young in order to earn an honest livelihood, and was … shown even in early boyhood that my duty was to assist my parents and… become, as soon as possible, a breadwinner in the family….When I was born my father was a well-to-do master weaver in … Scotland. …This was before the days of steam-factories for the manufacture of linen.
As the factory system developed … my father was one of the sufferers by the change. The first serious lesson of my life came to me one day when he had taken in the last of his work to the merchant, and returned to our little home greatly distressed because there was no more work for him to do. I was … ten years of age, but the lesson burned into my heart, and I resolved …that the wolf of poverty should be driven from our door someday…
1.         Why did Andrew have to start working?
2.         What did Andrew learn early in his boyhood?
3.         Was Andrew poor when he was born? Explain.
4.         What happened when the factory system began?
5.         How old was Andrew when he learned his first serious lesson?
6.         What did he resolve to do?


Option 1. Collections: HOW I SERVED MY APPRENTICESHIP 1900
… Why did I become a business man? ….The eldest son of parents who were … poor, I had… to begin to perform some useful work in the world … to earn an honest livelihood
1.    Why did Andrew have to start working?
… I was … shown… in early boyhood that my duty was to assist my parents and… become, as soon as possible, a breadwinner in the family….
2.    What did Andrew learn early in his boyhood?
When I was born my father was a well-to-do master weaver in … Scotland. …This was before the days of steam-factories….
3.    Was Andrew poor when he was born? Explain.
As the factory system developed (began) … my father was one of the sufferers by the change.
4.    What happened when the factory system began?
The first serious lesson of my life came to me one day… I was … ten years of age.. I resolved (I decided) …that the wolf of poverty should be driven from our door someday…
5.    How old was Andrew when he learned his first serious lesson?
6.    What did he resolve to do?


Option 1. Collections: HOW I SERVED MY APPRENTICESHIP 1900
The eldest son of parents who were … poor, I had… to begin to perform some useful work in the world … to earn an honest livelihood
1.      Why did Andrew have to start working?
… I was … shown… in early boyhood that my duty was to assist my parents and… become, as soon as possible, a breadwinner in the family….
2.      What did Andrew learn early in his boyhood?
When I was born my father was a well-to-do master weaver in … Scotland. …This was before the days of steam-factories….
3.      Was Andrew poor when he was born? Explain.



Parent signature________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

HW Mr. Padilla 6.26.18

Dear parents/guardians, It was a pleasure working with your child this academic school year 2017-18.    For those of you not attending s...