Monday, June 12, 2017

HW Mr. Padilla 6.13.17

Homework: Dear parents/ guardians, please assist your child with today’s homework.  

Option 3: Collections: HOW I SERVED MY APPRENTICESHIP 1900
For a lad of twelve to rise and breakfast every morning, except the blessed Sunday morning, and go into the streets and find his way to the factory and begin to work while it was still dark outside, and not be released until after darkness came again in the evening, forty minutes’ interval only being allowed at noon, was a terrible task. But I was young and had my dreams, and something within always told me that this would not, could not, should not last—I should some day get into a better position… I felt myself no longer a mere boy, but quite a little man, and this made me happy.
It seems, nowadays, a matter of universal desire that poverty should be abolished. We should be quite willing to abolish luxury, but to abolish honest, industrious, self-denying poverty would be to destroy the soil upon which mankind produces the virtues which enable our race to reach a still higher civilization than it now possesses.

 Task: Read the following statements, agree Yes or No, then explain why, and give evidence from the text.
1.      Statement: Successful people push themselves because they focus on their dreams.
A.      Your reason for Yes or No:

B.      Evidence from the text:

2.      Statement: Bring poor is good because it makes people become better.
A.         Your reason for Yes or No:
B.      Evidence from the text:

Option 2 :  Collections: HOW I SERVED MY APPRENTICESHIP 1900
For a lad of twelve to rise and breakfast every morning… and go into the streets and find his way to the factory and begin to work while it was still dark outside, and not be released until after darkness came again in the evening…was a terrible task. But I was young and had my dreams, and something… always told me that this would not, could not, should not last—I should some day get into a better position… I felt myself no longer a mere boy, but quite a little man, and this made me happy.
It seems… a matter of universal desire that poverty should be abolished. We should be quite willing to abolish luxury, but to abolish honest, industrious, self-denying poverty would be to destroy the soil upon which mankind produces the virtues which enable our race to reach a still higher civilization…
1.        What was Andre doing at the age of 12?
2.        Why did he not give up?
3.        How did he make himself feel better?
4.        What seems like a universal desire?
5.        What should we get rid of?
6.        Why should we not deny poverty?

Option 1. Collections: HOW I SERVED MY APPRENTICESHIP 1900
For a lad of twelve to rise and breakfast every morning… and go into the streets … and begin to work while it was still dark outside, and not be released until after darkness……was a terrible task.
1.    What was Andre doing at the age of 12?
 But I was young and had my dreams, and something… always told me that this would…not last
2.    Why did he not give up?
I should someday get into a better position… I felt myself no longer a mere boy, but quite a little man, and this made me happy.
3.    How did he make himself feel better?
It seems… a matter of universal (everyone’s) desire that poverty should be abolished.
4.    What seems like a universal desire?
We should be … willing to abolish (get rid of) luxury, but … self-denying poverty would … destroy …the virtues (qualities) which enable our race to reach a…higher civilization (better mankind)…
5.    What should we get rid of?
6.    Why should we not deny poverty?
Option 1A. Collections: HOW I SERVED MY APPRENTICESHIP 1900
For a lad of twelve to rise and breakfast every morning… and go into the streets … and begin to work while it was … dark outside ……was a terrible task.
1.      What was Andre doing at the age of 12?

 But I was young and had my dreams, and something… always told me that this would…not last
2.      What did Andrew always tell himself?
… I felt myself no longer a mere boy, but quite a little man, and this made me happy.
3.      What made him feel happy?  

Parent signature________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

HW Mr. Padilla 6.26.18

Dear parents/guardians, It was a pleasure working with your child this academic school year 2017-18.    For those of you not attending s...