Monday, May 8, 2017

HW Mr. Padilla 5.8.17


Homework: Parents/guardians, please assist your child with today’s homework.


Option 3:
I bought our food at the market and cooked it as best I could and tried to keep Prim and my-self looking presentable. Because if it had become known that
my mother could no longer care for us, the district would have taken us away from her and placed us in the community home. I’d grown up seeing those home kids at school. The sadness, the marks of angry hands on their faces, the hopelessness that curled their shoulders forward. I could never let
that happen to Prim. Sweet, tiny Prim who cried when I cried  before she even knew the reason, who brushed … my mother’s hair before we left for school, who still polished my father’s shaving mirror each night…
The district had given us a small amount of money as compensation for his death (Katniss’ father), enough to cover one month of grieving at which time my mother would be expected to get a job. Only she didn’t. She didn’t do anything but sit propped up in a chair or, more often, huddled under the blankets on her bed, eyes fixed on some point in the distance. Once in a while, she’d stir, get up as if moved by some urgent purpose, only to then collapse back into stillness. No amount of pleading from Prim seemed to affect hers no other way to put it. I kept telling myself if I could only hold out until May, just May 8th, I would turn twelve and be able to … get that precious grain and oil to feed us… We could well be dead by then.
Task: Hunger and poverty are two themes in The Hunger Games. Base responses on today’s reading.
Write a paragraph in which you explain how and why does Katniss take care of her family?  How would you describe Katniss as a person?



Option 2:
Because if it had become known that my mother could no longer care for us, the district would have taken us away from her and placed us in the community home. I’d grown up seeing those home kids at school. The sadness, the marks of angry hands on their faces, the hopelessness that curled their shoulders forward. I could never let that happen to Prim. Sweet, tiny Prim who cried when I cried  before she even knew the reason, who brushed … my mother’s hair before we left for school, who still polished my father’s shaving mirror each night…
The district had given us a small amount of money as compensation for his death (Katniss’ father), enough to cover one month of grieving at which time my mother would be expected to get a job. Only she didn’t. She didn’t do anything but sit …up in a chair …under the blankets on her bed…Once in a while, she’d stir, get up as if moved by some urgent purpose, only to then collapse back into stillness. No amount of pleading from Prim seemed to affect hers no other way to put it. I kept telling myself if I could only hold out until May, just May 8th, I would turn
twelve and be able to … get that precious grain and oil to feed us… We could well  be dead by then.

Task: Base responses on today’s reading.  In your own words:
1.       How does Katniss describe the children from the community home?

2.       How does she describe her little sister Prim?

3.       How does she describe her mother?

4.       How would you describe Katniss?

Option 1:
... it had become known that my mother could no longer care for us,
1.       What could Katniss’ mother not do?

the district would have taken us away from her and placed us in the community home. I’d grown up seeing those home kids at school. … I could never let that happen to Prim.
2.       What would the district have done?
3.       Why did Katniss not want Prim to go to a community home?

 Sweet, tiny Prim who cried when I cried before she even knew the reason, who brushed … my mother’s hair before we left for school
4.       Do you think Katniss loves her sister? Explain why or why not.
The district had given us a small amount of money … his death (Katniss’ father), enough to cover one month of grieving… my mother would be expected to get a job. Only she didn’t.
5.       Why could Katniss mom not take care of them?




Parent signature_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

HW Mr. Padilla 6.26.18

Dear parents/guardians, It was a pleasure working with your child this academic school year 2017-18.    For those of you not attending s...