Tuesday, November 15, 2016

HW Mr. Padilla 11.16.16


Homework:  Dear parent/guardian: Please assist your child with today's homework. Your child should read one of the passages below and choose a task option.


Option 1: Based on today’s readings:

* "You read a lot, don't you, Ponyboy?" Cherry asked.
I was startled. "Yeah. Why?"
She kind of shrugged. "I could just tell. I'll bet you watch sunsets, too." She was quiet for a minute after I nodded. "I used to watch them, too, before I got so busy..."
I pictured that, or tried to. Maybe Cherry stood still and watched the sun set while she was supposed to be taking the garbage out. Stood there and watched and forgot everything else until her big brother screamed at her to hurry up. I shook my head. It seemed funny to me that the sunset she saw from her patio and, the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset.

Task:
Explain why different social classes should focus on commonalities (the things we share in common) over our differences. Do you think this would work? Explain why or why not. (write 3-5 sentences). Give examples from the readings.


Option 2: Based on today’s readings:

** "You read a lot, don't you, Ponyboy?" Cherry asked.
I was startled. "Yeah. Why?"
She kind of shrugged. "I could just tell. I'll bet you watch sunsets, too." She was quiet for a minute … "I used to watch them, too, before I got so busy..."
I pictured that… Maybe Cherry stood still and watched the sun set while she was supposed to be taking the garbage out. Stood there and watched and forgot everything else until her big brother screamed at her to hurry up. .. It seemed funny to me that the sunset she saw from her patio and, the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset.

Task: KWL: Write a paragraph in which you share the following:


What you knew about the topic of: How can finding commonalities help bridge social divide?

What you learned about the topic?

How can you use this information in real life?

Option 3: Based on today’s readings:

Cherry and Ponyboy are having a conversation.
She (Cherry) … shrugged. "… I'll bet you watch sunsets, too." She was quiet for a minute … "I used to watch them, too, before I got so busy..."

1.       What is Cherry sure that Ponyboy does?

2.       What did Cherry stop doing and why?

Pony boy thought:… Maybe Cherry stood still and watched the sun set while she was supposed to be taking the garbage out...

3.       What was Ponyboy thinking?

It seemed funny to me that the sunset she saw from her patio and, the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset.

4.       What seemed funny to Ponyboy?

5.       What does Pony think is not different after all?


Parent signature_____________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

HW Mr. Padilla 6.26.18

Dear parents/guardians, It was a pleasure working with your child this academic school year 2017-18.    For those of you not attending s...