Monday, December 21, 2015

HW Mr. Padilla 12-21-15


Parents/guardians, please assist your children with today’s homework.

*
Uncle Jack…was one of the few men of science who never terrified me, probably because he never behaved like a doctor. Whenever he performed a minor service for Jem and me, as removing a splinter from a foot, he would tell us exactly what he was going to do, give us an estimation of how much it would hurt, and explain the use of any tongs he employed. One Christmas I lurked in corners nursing a twisted splinter in my foot, permitting no one to come near me. When Uncle Jack caught me, he kept me laughing about a preacher who hated going to church so much that every day he stood at his gate in his dressing-gown, smoking … and delivering five-minute sermons to any passers-by who desired spiritual comfort. I interrupted to make Uncle Jack let me know when he would pull it out, but he held up a bloody splinter in a pair of tweezers and said he yanked it while I was laughing, that was what was known as relativity.

**
Uncle Jack…was one of the few men of science who never terrified me, … because he never behaved like a doctor. Whenever he performed a minor service for Jem and me, as removing a splinter from a foot, he would tell us exactly what he was going to do, give us an estimation of how much it would hurt, and explain the use of any tongs he employed. One Christmas I… twisted splinter in my foot, permitting no one to come near me. When Uncle Jack caught me, he kept me laughing about a preacher who hated going to church so much that every day he stood at his gate in his dressing-gown, smoking … and delivering five-minute sermons to any passers-by…I interrupted to make Uncle Jack let me know when he would pull it out, but he held up a bloody splinter in a pair of tweezers and said he yanked it while I was laughing…

***
Uncle Jack…was one of the few men of science who never terrified me, … because he never behaved like a doctor. Whenever he performed a minor service for Jem and me, as removing a splinter from a foot, he would tell us exactly what he was going to do…One Christmas I… twisted splinter in my foot…When Uncle Jack caught me, he kept me laughing about a preacher who hated going to church so much that every day he stood at his gate in his dressing-gown, smoking … and delivering five-minute sermons to any passers-by…I interrupted to make Uncle Jack let me know when he would pull it out, but he held up a bloody splinter in a pair of tweezers and said he yanked it while I was laughing…

Option1: Write a 1-2 sentence summary of this passage. (Remember to include the 5 W’s)

Option 2:

1.  Explain why Scout means when she says using your own words: “one of the few men of science who never terrified me, … because he never behaved like a doctor”

2.    What example does she give in the reading that shows her point?



Option 3:
1.    Who is Uncle Jack? How does Scout feel about him?
2.    What did Scout like about him?
3.    How did Uncle Jack remove Scout’s splinter?

Parent signature_____________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

HW Mr. Padilla 6.26.18

Dear parents/guardians, It was a pleasure working with your child this academic school year 2017-18.    For those of you not attending s...