Tuesday, December 15, 2015

HW Mr. Padilla 12-15-15


Homework: Parents/guardians, please assist your child with today’s homework.
Choose one modified reading and a task option to complete.

Topic: Nelson Mandela: who spent 27 years in prison for fighting against segregation (apartheid) and became president of South America after his release.

·       * “I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not ended.”


·       ** “I have walked that long road to freedom. … I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to … view… the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not ended.”
·        
·        
·       *** “I have walked that long road to freedom. … I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill… there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment… to rest, to … view… the …vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and … my long walk is not ended.”

Option 1:  What does this quote by Nelson Mandela mean to you?  Write a paragraph in which you summarize or explain this passage in your own words.


Option 2:  Draw a poster to illustrate the following quote:  

.” But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.”

Make sure to include as many details as possible in your drawing and to write one sentence explaining what the quote means to you.

Option 3: Base responses on the reading.

1.     What has happened to Mandela on his long road?
2.     What did he discover along the way?
3.     Why can he rest for only a moment?

Signature: ____________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

HW Mr. Padilla 6.26.18

Dear parents/guardians, It was a pleasure working with your child this academic school year 2017-18.    For those of you not attending s...