Monday, June 13, 2016

HW Mr. Padilla 6.13.16


Parents/guardians, please assist your child with today’s homework.

Task: read passage below to respond to questions.

Christopher says that he has a hard time imagining things that haven't happened to him  But it's clear from this passage that he actually has a pretty incredible imagination.

·      Option 1:
·       
·      And if I start thinking about something which didn't happen I start thinking about all the other things which didn't happen.

For example, this morning for breakfast I had Ready Brek and some hot raspberry milk shake. But if I say that I actually had Shreddies and a mug of tea I start thinking about Coco-Pops and lemonade and porridge and Dr. Pepper and how I wasn't eating my breakfast in Egypt and there wasn't a rhinoceros in the room and Father wasn't wearing a diving suit and so on and even writing this makes me feel shaky and scared, like I do when I'm standing on the top of a very tall building and there are thousands of houses and cars and people below me and my head is so full of all these things that I'm afraid that I'm going to forget to stand up straight and hang onto the rail and I'm going to fall over and be killed. (37.3-4

How would you describe the thoughts that are going through Christopher’s mind?  Give details.

Do you think it is “normal” to have so many thoughts like this go through your mind? Explain why or why not?

How are you similar or different to Christopher?

·      Option 2:
·       
·       And if I start thinking about something which didn't happen I start thinking about all the other things which didn't happen.

For example, this morning for breakfast I had … some hot raspberry milk shake. But if I say that I actually had Shreddies and a mug of tea I start thinking about Coco-Pops and lemonade…Dr. Pepper and how I wasn't eating my breakfast in Egypt and there wasn't a rhinoceros in the room and Father wasn't wearing a diving suit and…and even writing this makes me feel shaky and scared, like I do when I'm standing on the top of a very tall building and there are thousands of … people below me and my head is so full of all these things that I'm afraid that I'm going to forget to stand up straight and hang onto the rail and I'm going to fall over and be killed. (37.3-4

Pretend you are a friend of Christopher or that you know him.  Pretend that he just told you what you just read in this passage.  Now you are going to tell someone else what he told you.

Write a small paragraph paraphrasing what Chris just said about thinking of the things that haven’t happened.

How are you similar or different to Christopher?


·       

·      Option 3:
·       
·       And if I start thinking about something which didn't happen I start thinking about all the other things …

For example, this morning for breakfast I had … some hot raspberry milk shake. But if I say that I actually had Shreddies … I start thinking about Coco-Pops and lemonade and Dr. Pepper and how I wasn't eating my breakfast in Egypt and there wasn't a rhinoceros in the room and Father wasn't wearing a diving suit and…this makes me feel shaky and scared, like I do when I'm standing on the top of a very tall building and there are … people below me and my head is so full of all these things that I'm afraid that… I'm going to fall over …(37.3-4)

1.     What happens when Chris thinks of things that haven’t happened?
2.     What happens if Chris says he had Shreddies?
3.     Where does he say he is not eating breakfast and what is his father not wearing?
4.     How does he feel when he starts to think about these things?
5.     Do you find his thoughts confusing? Why or why not?
6.      
Parent signature________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

HW Mr. Padilla 6.26.18

Dear parents/guardians, It was a pleasure working with your child this academic school year 2017-18.    For those of you not attending s...